Seeking a fast and flexible circuit designer with an interest in working in a fast-paced high performance environment to develop products and support cross-platform product development for custom spectroscopy and imaging applications. The new position is based in Winter Park, Florida.
The Electrical Engineer will design products using state of the art optoelectronic components not limited to the following: DSP microprocessors, microcontrollers, digital camera microprocessors, A/D interfaces, FPGA devices, low voltage logic, and DC/DC power supply devices. The successful candidate will design, debug, and test prototype components and circuit card assemblies while working in a cross-functional organization. Product designs involve the combination of optoelectronics, analog & digital design for interfacing to PC’s via USB, PCI, and Ethernet, as well as other common computer protocols.
The role provides travel with opportunities for overseas working and requires the ability to work within commercial and scientific teams. Working with highly skilled application engineers, the successful candidate must be capable of high-level, project-oriented system design and analysis. The role requires the ability to take ownership of and be responsible for many simultaneous system deliverables. This includes project planning, design, implementation, testing, validation and support. He/she must be a graduate in an applicable field with significant industry experience or equivalent.
The candidate will join an existing team of software engineers, mechanical engineers, electrical/firmware engineers, optical engineers, physicists and domain experts, including masters and Ph.D. level team members. The successful applicant will have the opportunity to learn and master a variety of disciplines while actively contributing to the advancement of medical science, climate understanding and industrial productivity.
- Qualified candidates must have at least a B.S. degree in electrical engineering from an ABET accredited University and a minimum 5 years of work experience
- Experience with Circuit design, Firmware and PCB layout
- Perform schematic capture and layout in Altium Designer
- Background in spectroscopy and/or analytical instrumentation is helpful but not required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to travel 5-10%
Additional Desired Skills
Experience in any of the following would add weight to a candidate’s consideration:
- FPGA design, simulation, synthesis & implementation in VHDL (Xilinx preferred)
- Interfacing FPGA to standard peripherals and microcontrollers
- Embedded programming experience in up to 16 bit microcontrollers
- Competency creating micro-controller/DSP firmware in C
- Experience in the implementation of image processing algorithms using embedded processors and FPGAs a major plus
- Design products that will use industry standard data interfaces such as: USB 3, 2.0, Bluetooth (including BLE), WiFi, Ethernet (100/1000BASE-T), RS-232/485, I2C and SPI
- Analog Front End devices for input signal processing, low noise analog signal processing devices
- A/D Converter Implementation: 12-18 bit ADC’s up to 10MHz
- Experience with signal conditioning of moderate bandwidth analog signals (up to 10 MHz)
- Power Supply design to support analog & digital circuitry and experience with low noise & moderate bandwidth PCB layout & implementation
- Experience in single and multi-tap CCD/CMOS image sensor readout circuits and low-noise circuit design is a plus
- Experience with SPICE simulation tools
Design and layout of multilayer SMD/thru-hole mixed signal PCBs
Hand rework to support troubleshooting and augmentation/prototyping of designs
- Experience with single and multi-element optical detectors (i.e. Photodiodes, CMOS detectors, and CCD’s) and their readout circuits
- Familiarity with optical sources (lamps, lasers, LEDs, etc.) and their drive circuits a plus
- Experience with Thermoelectric Coolers or other cooling techniques a plus
How to Apply
Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
We offer excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long-term disability, paid holidays and time off, flexible spending accounts and 401(k) plan.
Come be part of a flexible, forward-thinking work environment that encourages skilled, highly motivated professionals to put their ideas to work in developing and supporting the most innovative line of photonics technologies on the market.
Please forward your resume with salary requirements to [email protected]. Ocean Optics is an Equal Opportunity Employer.