Legacy HR2000 not recognized on Windows 8.x or 10
Certain versions of the HR2000 (legacy precursor to the current HR2000) can have problems showing up in OceanView on Windows 8.x or 10 computers. This can be resolved by upgrading the HR2000 FX2 firmware to version 102.0.
The firmware may need to be updated to the EEPROM in your HR2000 spectrometer; after this has been done, it will work properly on Windows 8.x and Windows 10 using OceanView software.
Please note that the firmware update has a small possibility of corrupting the EEPROM. If this happens, it may need to be sent in for repair. This must be done in Windows. It is best to do this with no other programs running. Note: This programming process cannot be done on a computer with Windows 8.x or 10; please use a different computer with Windows 7, Vista, or XP.
- Install USB Programmer. Go to our software downloads page and look for the “Microcode” section. Select the version that corresponds to your operating system (32 or 64-bit Windows).
Note: If using 32-bit Windows operating system and the EZUSB driver for reprogramming, please download and install EZUSB version of 32-bit Windows USB Programmer from the DropBox instead.
- Save the firmware file on any location of your computer.
- Attach your spectrometer to the USB port on your computer.
- Run the USB Programmer by selecting Start | Programs | Ocean Optics | USB Programmer |USB programmer. This utility will display your spectrometer in the left hand pane. It may be seen under “HR2000 Devices.”
- Click on the spectrometer line below “HR2000 Devices.” It will contain the spectrometer’s serial number.
- Once you select the device, additional information will be displayed on the right side of the window. The spectrometer’s current FX/2 firmware version will be displayed at the top on the right.
- Click the “Program FX/2” button, located on the Main Menu.
- Locate the firmware file, click on it and click Open.
Note: Do not interrupt the programming process for any reason! If the programming process is interrupted, permanent corruption can occur on the USB device. Programming will take a few minutes. IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Even if all is done correctly, there is a small possibility that the spectrometer will not function after the firmware is updated.
- When programming is complete unplug the USB device from the PC, and then plug the device back into the PC to allow the new program to take effect.
- Wait about 10 seconds for its driver to load, and then click the “Refresh Tree” button.
- Click on the spectrometer’s serial number (it should be under “HR2000 Devices”) to see the updated firmware version. Note: This firmware version displays as blank.
After installing USB Programmer and plugging in your HR2000, and the driver is not found, please try the following:
- Go to Device Manager and find the “Ocean Optics HR2000” (it should be under the category “Other Devices”).
- Right click on the “Ocean Optics HR2000” and select “Update Driver Software.” You will get a choice of finding the driver automatically or “Browse My Computer.”
- Select Browse and then browse to the following directory: “C:\Program Files\Ocean Optics\USBProgrammerWinUSB-4.2\distribution.” Please be sure to select the “distribution” directory, and not the subfolder.
- After you select the “distribution” directory, click “OK” and then “Next” and you may get a message that “Windows cannot verify the publisher.”
- Click on “Install Anyway” and the device driver installation will begin.
- It should display “Your hardware was installed successfully” when finished.