Take a look around you. Nearly every object you see was made at a plant or facility that needed to monitor the pH of a stream at some point in the process. pH plays a far greater role in our lives than we realize, affecting and enabling chemistry throughout our daily lives. It plays a role in the ocean’s carbon cycle, affects the functioning of hemoglobin, and determines the rate of many industrial processes. We depend on it to simply exist, as levels outside the narrow range of pH 5 – 9 are hostile to life.
Accurate measurement of pH allows us to monitor and fine-tune chemical processes, protect the environment and the living things within it, and study biological systems. Electrode-type meters have long been the standard, but the development of optical pH sensors has improved the response time and range of chemical compatibility, as well as enabling non-contact measurements.
Ocean Optics began its story in 1989 with the pHish Doctor, an indicator patch to monitor pH in fish tanks. So it is only fitting that we have come full circle to develop a sol-gel based optrode for pH measurement that is capable of high-resolution measurement throughout the biological range (pH 5 – 9). Our pH probes and patches offer versatility and ease of use, while minimizing sensitivity to ionic strength.
Just as our pH sensors have moved beyond the fish tank, we invite you to think outside the box about how they can help you. To get some ideas, read on…
- Multiple form factors: pH sensor chemistry can be applied to probes, non-invasive patches, cuvettes, and other materials
- Non-invasive option: self-adhesive patches can be placed on the interior of a transmissive container and read through the vessel wall
- Low maintenance: sensors require no special storage solutions, unlike traditional electrodes
- Biocompatible: ideal for sensing in the biological range (pH 5 – 9), and pH sensor chemistry has been USP Class VI certified
- High resolution: sensors can resolve to 0.01 pH unit with certain optical configurations
Other Common Applications
- Biological environments: biofermentation processes, cell culture monitoring, bioreactor monitoring
- Biomedical & life sciences: pH titrations, low ionic strength samples, blood and other bodily fluid analysis, tissue analysis, microtiter plates
- Food process & storage monitoring: beverage packaging, vacuum-packaged foods, vegetable oils, wine fermentation
- Pharmaceutical & chemical processing: pharmaceutical fermentation
- Environmental & ecological: aquaculture applications, marine organisms, natural waters (marine, surface), soils and sediments, waste water treatment
- Industrial: general manufacturing of products, power plant cooling water
Featured Products for pH Sensing:
|Flame Spectrometer||We recommend configuring the Flame spectrometer for visible measurements from 350-1000 nm and using a 50 µm entrance slit.|
|HL2000||Tungsten halogen source provides VIS-NIR illumination.|
|RE-BIFBORO-2||Bifurcated optical fiber with borosilicate fiber bundle has one fiber leg to illuminate the patch and one fiber leg to collect the response.|
|PH-BCG-REFLECT||These reflective pH patches can be used with colored or turbid samples, and are meant to be applied to the inner wall of a clear vessel or process flow. Each order comprises a pack of 5 sol gel-entrapped bromocresol green pH sensors.|