Custom Fibers & Probes
If you don’t see the exact assembly you need in our extensive stock of standard fibers and probes, please contact us to discuss creating a custom fiber assembly. Having the right connections is an essential part of our “take the instrument to the sample” philosophy, so we want to get it right!
We stock a wide variety of jacketing materials, connectors, ferrules and fiber core sizes that allow us to design and deliver a solution that is truly optimized for your application and environment.
Our custom designs have ranged from fibers designed for harsh environments like smokestacks to probes used in delicate in vivo applications.
How can I get a custom fiber assembly?
- Contact one of our sales specialists to create a custom fiber order.
- Tell us about the environment and application in which the assembly will be used.
- Once we have agreed on needs like length, fiber type, and terminations, we’ll issue you a quote.
- Contact us to submit your custom fiber assembly order.
- Receive a mechanical drawing to approve and then confirm the final design prior to manufacture.
- Start making measurements!
What parameters can I specify?
- Patch cords provide 1:1 routing of light using a single fiber, though more than one fiber can be bundled into a fiber assembly jacket.
- Bifurcated fibers provide 1:2 routing in a Y-configuration. Two fibers are bundled at one end, branching out into separate “legs.” This allows fibers of the same or different core diameter or wavelength range to be used for each leg.
- Fiber splitters provide 1:2 routing as well, but using three separate fiber segments. In this case, the fiber from each leg overlaps partially with the third fiber at a mechanical junction. Transmission is lower for this type of Y-configuration, but light from each fiber leg is efficiently mixed while traveling the common end.